Busy Week
It's hard to believe that a week has gone by since my last post. Everything is great... Last week was a great week at work as Charles settled in and we really got things rolling. We are building up a lab to do some important testing and it's fun to setup a big system with lots of servers and storage...
I did go house looking on Thursday and it was interesting. There was 1 house I liked and 1 house Lin liked. After the tour with the realtor, I liked the house Lin liked and did not like the house I liked. Even at that there would be quite a bit of work at the house we both liked so we are still looking. The realtor is feeding me leads and we'll do some more investigating in a couple of weeks.
Friday Charles and I headed to Houston about 4:00 PM and it's amazing how much faster the drive goes when you have someone to talk to. After getting to Katy it was packing as the movers were due Saturday morning. I got up early and headed to the Hylander house to see if the power was on or if I would have to hook up the generator. Wonderfully the power was on after being out almost 3 weeks. the rest of the weekend was brutal. Even with 4 movers it was a huge amount of work for both Lin and me. We finally got everything in the house and scattered around enough to go to bed about midnight.
By Sunday morning I could hardly walk. As I stepped out of bed my hip hurt on the right from all the lifting and as I stepped on my left leg I got a charlie horse in my left calf. I was basically hopping back and forth from one leg to the other in pail. It would have been comical if it did not hurt... We unpacked and arranged things all day until Charles picked Maggy and me up about 6:00 PM to head back to Austin. It's been a couple of days recovering at work but overall it was worth it. The house looks pretty good and Lin has a nice place for a few months while we get a plan together for Austin.
Thanks for checking in and I'll keep the blog updated as we go through the adventure.. Hugs to all... Gene
I did go house looking on Thursday and it was interesting. There was 1 house I liked and 1 house Lin liked. After the tour with the realtor, I liked the house Lin liked and did not like the house I liked. Even at that there would be quite a bit of work at the house we both liked so we are still looking. The realtor is feeding me leads and we'll do some more investigating in a couple of weeks.
Friday Charles and I headed to Houston about 4:00 PM and it's amazing how much faster the drive goes when you have someone to talk to. After getting to Katy it was packing as the movers were due Saturday morning. I got up early and headed to the Hylander house to see if the power was on or if I would have to hook up the generator. Wonderfully the power was on after being out almost 3 weeks. the rest of the weekend was brutal. Even with 4 movers it was a huge amount of work for both Lin and me. We finally got everything in the house and scattered around enough to go to bed about midnight.
By Sunday morning I could hardly walk. As I stepped out of bed my hip hurt on the right from all the lifting and as I stepped on my left leg I got a charlie horse in my left calf. I was basically hopping back and forth from one leg to the other in pail. It would have been comical if it did not hurt... We unpacked and arranged things all day until Charles picked Maggy and me up about 6:00 PM to head back to Austin. It's been a couple of days recovering at work but overall it was worth it. The house looks pretty good and Lin has a nice place for a few months while we get a plan together for Austin.
Thanks for checking in and I'll keep the blog updated as we go through the adventure.. Hugs to all... Gene

2 Comments:
Glad you made it through the storms. All we get here are the occasional jolts from Mother Earth.
Congrats on the birthday you 'ol fart!... I'm saving some Booker's I hide in the bottom drawer for next time I see you...IF we are ever allowed to drink again.
Give Charles my best. So what's next, get Alvin to rejoin the team? Let me know how house hunting turns out. I have a few fingers into solar power that could make you a few bucks.
I'm just assembling the pictures and anecdotes from the Balls17 rocket launch last weekend...more later. With one kid is in Brooklyn, one in Hong Kong, one hitching off to Mexico, and one maybe moving in with his girlfriend, Christine has decided she wants a place in the mountains...so...I'm interviewing for a real job next week and harveting the last of the peppers, painting the house and selling off a couple of old cars kids left.
Love to all,
Brad
By
Anonymous, At
October 3, 2008 at 4:34 PM
Gene, it's great to see things are going well. It's Ralph Lobato from your old HP days with Mary & Microsoft. I just happened by your blog and thought I'd drop a quick note! I retired from HP about a year ago and started a franchise thinking that was a risk-free thing to do... boy was I wrong. Business has been lacking and Lydia and I finally decided to put it up for sale. I'm looking at job prospects and starting to find consulting opportunities again. We're living in Northern, CA... I see you're at Dell. I hope things are going well with the new job. All the best. Sorry I haven't stayed in touch. I've been working 12-16 hour days running the business... it's been a tremendous learning experience. We'll have to catch-up sometime. My email address is ralph.lobato@charterfranchise.com
All the best. Ralph
By
Anonymous, At
October 6, 2008 at 8:29 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home